These are the headlines you Need 2 Know for Wednesday, January 8, 2020:
- IRAN CRISIS: RETALIATORY STRIKES: Iran fired more than a dozen ballistic missiles at two military bases in Iraq where American troops are stationed. There are reportedly no casualties. After the strikes concluded, Iran’s foreign minister said Tehran did “not seek escalation or war.” President Trump tweeted “all is well!” and “so far, so good” late last night. He is expected to address the nation today. The New York Times
- IRAN CRISIS: PLANE CRASH: Separately, a Boeing 737 jet en route from Tehran to Kiev, Ukraine crashed shortly after take off. All 176 people on board are presumed dead. The Ukranian embassy in Iran says preliminary information point to engine failure. CNN
- IRAN CRISIS: STAMPEDE: At least 56 people were crushed to death in a stampede amid huge, emotional crowds attending the funeral procession for Gen. Qassem Soleimani in his hometown of Kerman. The burial had to be postponed so emergency services could tend to the injured. NBC News
- AUSTRALIA FIRES: Police in Australia have arrested at least 24 people on charges that they deliberately lit some of the wildfires that are ravaging the country. Dozens of others have been arrested for not complying with the total fire ban. Meanwhile, new satellite images from NASA show the popular tourist attraction and wildlife haven Kangaroo Island has been severely burned, with more than one-third of the island on fire. Before & After
- WEINSTEIN TRIAL: The judge presiding over Harvey Weinstein’s trial threatened to throw Weinstein in jail on the second day of proceedings for using his cellphone in the courtroom. The judge asked, “Is this really the way you want to end up in jail for the rest of your life by texting in violation of an order?” Weinstein has been getting to and from court with the help of a walker, causing many people to wonder whether he really needs it or is just doing it to score sympathy points with the prospective jury. Deadline
- DAIRY-FREE STARBUCKS: Starbucks is expanding its dairy-free options, bringing oat milk drinks to stores in the Midwest this week and launching two new drinks nationwide: the Almond milk Honey Flat White and Coconutmilk Latte. The market for “milk alternatives” has exploded, with sales of oat milk alone up more than 600 percent over the last year. CNN
- JEOPARDY ‘GOAT’: Ken Jennings won the first night of the big Jeopardy! primetime contest in a squeaker against James Holzhauer. Brad Rutter fared poorly, losing all his cash multiple times in Double Jeopardy situations. Jennings ended the hour with $63,400 to Holzhauer’s $63,200. The contest continues tonight. Yahoo
Cheddar's Hena Doba and Jill Wagner get into the latest.
Subscribe to the Need 2 Know newsletter here and listen to our morning podcast wherever you get your podcasts.