From Wall Street to Silicon Valley, these are the top stories that moved markets and had investors, business leaders, and entrepreneurs talking this week on Cheddar.

  • Strong Jobs Report: February's abysmal jobs report looks like an aberration after March hiring came in higher than expected. Employers reported 196,000 new jobs compared with estimates from 175,000 to 180,000. The unemployment rate stayed at 3.8 percent. The March report added to a sense of relief on Wall Street that an economic slowdown was not going to be abrupt. See more.

  • Snapchat as a Service: Snap ($SNAP) hosted its first partner conference ー the social network's take on the annual developer conferences made popular by Apple, Facebook and Google ー where the company announced new products and services for users, advertisers and developers. The Snap CEO Evan Spiegel took aim at rival Facebook without mentioning its name, saying that Snapchat's ephemeral nature, its curated live video, and the platform's independence from algorithmically-charged feeds sets it apart from other social networks. But at the same time, Snap announced at least one new service that sounded a lot like something Facebook might build: an ad network, dubbed the Snap Audience Network, which allows ads running on Snapchat to be accessed by third-party apps, for a price. Spiegel also said at the conference that Snapchat reaches 90 percent of 13-24 year-olds in the U.S.

  • Elon Musk in Court: An exasperated federal judge ordered Tesla CEO Elon Musk and officials from the Securities and Exchange Commission to "put your reasonableness pants on" and settle their ongoing dispute over Musk's proclivity for tweeting stock-moving Tesla ($TSLA) news. Musk, who arrived at the courthouse in Manhattan in a shiny Tesla Model 3, said he was "very happy" with the outcome of that hearing, in which the judge ordered him and the SEC to settle their differences outside of court. That may have been the highlight of the CEO's week. Tesla shares plummeted as much as 11 percent after the carmaker reported first-quarter deliveries were far below expectations. Tesla blamed the shortfall on logistical difficulties in shipping cars to new overseas markets. It was also the first quarter when the federal tax credit for new electric vehicles was cut in half. See more.

  • Bezos Divorce Settlement: With the stroke of a pen, Mackenzie Bezos will become the fourth-richest woman in the world. She and Jeff Bezos announced they reached a settlement in their divorce, which gives the former Mrs. Bezos 25 percent of the couple's Amazon ($AMZN) shares. Her stake is worth around $36 billion, but she won't retain the shares' voting rights. Jeff Bezos will control those shares, and keep the other 75 percent of the position, as well as ownership of The Washington Post and Blue Origin, his space exploration company. The settlement puts to rest questions over how the highest-profile divorce would affect the future of Amazon. The couple reportedly married without a pre-nup, before Amazon was incorporated and long before it became one of the most valuable companies in the world. See more.

  • Trump Backs Off Border Threat: The week started with President Trump reinvigorating his effort to repeal Obamacare. Then he threatened to close the southern border with Mexico over a surge in migrant crossings. But by the end of the week the president was forced to walk back both plans ー for now. Economists, business leaders and even Republicans in Congress warned that shutting the border would be devastating for farmers and automakers, and the overall economy. Nearly $1.7 billion in goods and services flows over the border every day, according to the Chamber of Commerce. "Security is more important to me than trade," Trump said, before backing down. The president's push to replace Obamacare sooner rather than later had to be scrapped after Sen. Majority Leader Mitch McConnell said, in no uncertain terms, that he had no interest in debating healthcare until after the 2020 election. See more.

ーby Carlo Versano